New Article on Alternative Right

As most of you already know, along with managing this blog, I’m also a contributing editor over at Alternative Right, where my latest article for them – where I critique Donald Trump and those in the alt right who uncritically embrace him – was recently uploaded.

A few reproachful comments aside, the reception to the article was pretty measured.

This entry was posted in conservative values, Economics, Hispanics, Immigration, Politics, Race, White nationalism and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to New Article on Alternative Right

1. Gay State Girl says:

I would add that his family manufactures their clothing lines abroad. Even his stupid slogan cap is made in China.

He was also among the first in Palm Beach to admit blacks into his country clubs, setting a precedent for others to do the same. He pressured the Palm Beach Civic Society by sending them a copy of Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner.

He’s close friends with Mike Tyson and Oprah, yet he still has supporters who are convinced he is going to send the blacks back to Africa.

• Ezra Pound says:

Wow, it sounds like you’re describing the behaviors of a businessman. But what does any of that have to do with the behavior of patriotic, nationalist PRESIDENT? You’re expecting a businessman to behave like….what?…a self-sacrificing martyr? No, that is how a PRESIDENT should behave, not a business man.

@ Ezra Pound

Indeed, and I would say that Donald Trump is a businessman a heart; he’s interested primarily in his brand.

• Gay State Girl says:

I’m glad his businesses plummeted due to his campaign. General hotel bookings dropped 59%. Those in Dubai dropped 70%.

2. AtomicPope says:

So the Gay Girl and the Bay Guy (also gay) are GLAAD that a White guy who might actually do something about illegal immigration is being destroyed?

This is why I’m GLAAD Orlando happened. In fact, it needs to happen every day until every last one of you is wiped out. We need to out every homosexual to Muslims, posting your names, and work and home addresses. You deserve DIEversity. You deserve all of it.

3. Tulio says:

Hey BAG,

I enjoyed the article. While I’ve never been a fan of Hillary, I guess I’ll be voting for her. Trump is absolutely beyond the pale to me. This goes beyond politics. It’s not even a left vs right, republicans vs democrats thing. It’s a matter of Trump’s temperament, character, intellectual maturity, ignorance of the world, demagoguery and authoritarian neo-fascist tendencies. I’ve found Trump repulsive long before he threw his hat in the ring for president. Hillary has problems, but at worse, it’ll just be 4 more years of the same. I’m a supporter of Obama, so an extension of Obama’s vision is fine for me. I don’t even oppose Hillary politically per se, I’m economically leftist and economics are what’s most important to me. My opposition to Hillary is her trustworthiness and being another Wall Street shill.

My prediction is that Trump will lose the election. The Republicans will be thrown into a tailspin which they will never recover from. The demographics of the nation are changing and Trump’s vision just doesn’t have enough angry white people left to make such a candidate viable going forward. What I suspect will happen to the Republican party in the future is that it will become an ethno-nationalist party of the type you have in Europe such as the BNP or National Front. They will have a constituent of hard-core loyalists but won’t have the broad-based support to win national elections.

The Democrats are pretty much locked in going forward if Trump loses. The changing demographics mean the Republicans have increasingly fewer paths to get the 270 electoral votes they need. Once Florida becomes reliably blue, the Republican party is ashes. What will then happen is the Democratic party will split into two factions. Moderate democrats such as Hillary’s running mate Kaine on one end, and on the other end left-wing, socialist Democrats such as Bernie Sanders and those leaning toward the Green Party.

Interesting comment, but I have to take you to task for this:

In fact, Black Agenda Report ran an article criticizing Berners who condemn Hillary while letting Obama off the hook. I know that their far left politics can be a bit out there, but it’s still an interesting read.

While I’m obviously not going to agree with a lot on that site, they get some things right here and there. I’ve actually developed some respect for one of its senior writers, Bruce Dixon, since he correctly predicted that Bernie Sanders would be a sheepdog candidate.

But going back to your comment, my ultimate hope is that the candidacies of Bernie and Trump fracture the two-party system. With a multiparty system where politicians can’t just take certain constituencies for granted because they have nowhere else to go, we’d have some real democracy. Despite people branding Sanders a “socialist” or Trump a “fascist,” they actually would be moderate Social Democrats and nationalists (respectively) by European – and global – standards.

This is just another way that the US is becoming more like the rest of the world.

Re: Republicans Obsolescence

The Republicans’ real problem is that their party is dominated by wealthy donors (not that the Democrats are much better). While their white base wants immigration restriction and nationalism, the donors want neoliberal/libertarian economics, which weakens their white base. The Republican Party’s stance on economics also hurts them with non-whites such as Latinos, who in general support progressive economics. Even if Republicans made serious efforts to become more multicultural, they would still lose the non-white vote. Maybe not as much as they are now, but they would lose it nonetheless.

The Republicans are a lesson – a lesson the Democrats would be wise to heed – on what happens when you kiss the asses of wealthy donors instead of helping the people who actually vote for you.

• Tulio says:

“I find this passage somewhat contradictory, because on the economic front, Obama hasn’t exactly been progressive; he’s as reliable a neoliberal as they come. While I commend him for being less hawkish than Hillary (thank god), I’ve never understood people who loathe Hillary but give Obama a pass – given that their policies are mostly similar.”

I don’t personally “loathe” Hillary. I don’t care for her and she doesn’t excite me, but “loathe” might be too strong a term for me.

Obama did try move us in the direction of universal healthcare, which is certainly progressive. He tried to raise taxes on the wealthy which is progressive. He wants the minimum wage raised federally and has already raised it for government contract workers. He raised the overtime threshold, that’s progressive. During the recession he extended the amount of time people could get public assistance(even though it led to him being called “the food stamp president”). I think it was the right thing to do given the dire circumstances many Americans were in at the time.