Rodrigo Duterte and the Slow Death of Liberalism

Liberalism has certainly seen better days. Whether it’s Trumpism, the revival of European nationalism, “Sultan” Recep Erdogan’s appeal to small-town Turks, or Narendra Modi’s popularity with Indians, the pattern is clear: growing numbers of frustrated people worldwide are losing patience with liberal democracy’s myriad failures. In response to an increasingly untenable status quo, society’s “losers” are embracing more nationalistic and authoritarian alternatives.

The highly unequal Philippines is the latest country to conform to this global trend, as evidenced by Rodrigo Duterte’s ascendancy to the presidency. Despite Duterte’s colorful personality – he’s been branded the “Trump of the East” – fed up Filipinos are willing to overlook his improprieties; in fact, his caustic character probably plays a big role in his appeal. As this one Der Spiegel editorial discussing Donald Trump (though it could equally apply to someone like Duterte) points out, societal decay provides fertile ground for radical politicians (emphasis mine):

Their rise was made possible through a decline in values such as decency, honesty, tolerance and fairness — a process that has been hastened by the Republican Party more than anyone else. For too long, it has pursued fiscal, economic and social policies that served only companies and the rich, the financial backers of their election campaigns. At the same time, millions of Americans slid into precarity. Cultural declines are often the consequence of real economic decline. Propriety isn’t the primary concern of those with financial worries, those who are embittered and living without hope. Instead, the neglected long for a culture of radicalism and coarseness. Destruction, they believe, may presage something better.

In other words, when people have little to lose, they’re more than happy to shake things up – decency be damned. While the leftist writer heaps blame on Republicans, conservatives and liberals share responsibility for our neoliberal nightmare. As demonstrated by the Philippines and other countries, avaricious elites of all ideological leanings spawn the likes of Rodrigo Duterte. In the West (especially in North America) this nightmare is only compounded by multiculturalism and racial tension, which is why Trump is now a serious presidential candidate.

But it’s not just nationalists who are ushering in the demise of liberalism. In response to the Democratic establishment’s unyielding hostility to Bernie Sanders – an expression of their opposition to progressive economic goals  – growing numbers of leftist populists are looking at liberals (and their “incrementalism”) askance. Smug coastal liberals, like their Conservatism Inc counterparts, are quickly becoming an endangered species. Turns out that mixing “meritocracy” with multiculturalism wasn’t the wisest idea, and as a consequence today’s liberals have little to offer most people.

One of the recurring themes of this blog is that Western, culturally left liberals are a deviant minority – when viewed from a global standpoint, that is. While the Alternative Right and Donald Trump are deemed “extreme” by American standards, people in most of the world don’t give a rat’s ass about liberals’ sensibilities and notions of propriety; leaders such as “Duterte Harry” make that abundantly clear. Unfortunately, given the the West’s disproportionate global influence – as well as liberal/neoliberal dominance of the media and academia – cultural liberals have been able to punch above their weight. However, since most people around the world (and frankly, sane human beings everywhere) reflexively reject such nutty beliefs, the maintenance of neoliberal SJWism in the West requires significant upkeep. As whites grow increasingly restless as a result of declining standards of living and lost cultural prestige, support for this bizarre experiment will fade.

It’s only a matter of time.

This entry was posted in American Pathologies, Asia, conservative values, Economics, Race, Tribalism and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Rodrigo Duterte and the Slow Death of Liberalism

Good finds. This one passage says it all:

Uh, yeah, like it’s the Archie Bunkers who ruled the world of the past, not the George Soroses and the Koch Brothers. Wealthy and/or blue-blooded families like the Bushes and the Pelosis have gotten a pass, sort of like Death Camp administrators who escaped and lived large in South America while German citizens absorbed the anger of the world. (Remember, Godwin’s Law pussies don’t impress me so don’t bother citing it.)

As I said during my recent interview with Robert Stark – which will be uploaded soon – a lot of cultural liberalism is upper class white liberals’ way of signaling status and proving their superiority to those boorish, working class whites

• Gay State Girl says:

I’m sorry, but if it’s contemptuous to call a spade a spade…I don’t mind being called a bigot.

My family owned factories in working class areas, and you can call me a princess if you like, but I grew up witnessing some of the most disgusting behavior (from the workers as well as the local townsfolk.) Many of the factory workers saw nothing wrong with scratching their ass in front of a nine year old girl. Even today, I can not walk past a construction site or an auto shop without being barraged with obscene comments or gestures.

My dad’s cousin was actually run over and killed by a drunk Irish cop, and the police department covered it up because they were all Irish.

Maybe the emphasis is on poor white pride and prejudice because theirs’ is most overt. They need to command more respect.

I guess they haven’t mastered the art of “aversive racism” the way white liberals have. Ultimately, they’ll command more respect once they find a way to organize and seize more political power. It’s possible that they support Trump for this reason.

I definitely understand why you don’t think too highly of them, and I’ve had bad experiences with “lower class” people.

During my friend and former roommate’s birthday, he invited his “ratchet” Filipina friend and her boyfriend – an equally ghetto, mixed Latino and Filipino guy – to hang out with us. The two were complete degenerates who fought in the club, fought outside the club, and eventually had to crash at our place early during the late night/early morning (where they had drunken make-up sex around 4am. I guess they figured everyone would be deep asleep). They constantly said “nigga” and acted more like stereotypical black people than the large majority of blacks themselves.

I wouldn’t have cared too much, expect that I had work at 7am and was already irritable on account of not having slept much the night before. When I got back from work, they were still around, and their inconsiderate behavior woke me from my attempted nap.

Of course, I’m not trying to compare that experience to being directly harassed. But nevertheless, I did want to strangle both of them. However, after learning more about their life stories, I started to feel some empathy. Ultimately, that’s the balance I’m striving for; I try to feel empathy for other people and groups without tolerating their shit.

So going back to your experiences, I think one can have empathy for the struggles of the white working class while also rejecting certain undesirable behaviors. Being oppressed doesn’t give you a free pass to act like an obnoxious shit.

• Gay State Girl says:

Sorry that came out wrong. I don’t mind if blue collar workers spend their free time at bars and ball games and I don’t blame them for staying away from organized political or social events where they are not welcome.

But they need to be introspective and examine their own behavior and perhaps recognize and acknowledge potential reasons why it might be more desirable to employ illegal immigrants as many of these illegal workers see the need to toe the line, because if they were to act up, they’d be at our mercy.

My father who can recall countless stories of being beat up or spit on when venturing through blue collar Irish neighborhoods, regards the influx of Latinos (many of whom are illegal) into these neighborhoods as an improvement (probably a false sense of security but they don’t spit on us.)

I know that my experiences might not be typical but provide an explanation (at least for jewish contempt for white working class and their open embrace of illegal immigrants.)

Even if working class whites were the most well-behaved people on the planet, employers would still prefer illegals over them for this very reason. No matter how cultured you are, if you’re competing against desperate and vulnerable 3rd worlders who have no choice but to work for pitiful wages, then you’re going to lose.

In fact, the history of the Zionist enterprise is very instructive in this regard. During the Second Aliyah, newly arrived Russian/Eastern European Jews struggled to compete with Palestinian peasants who were willing to work 16 hours a day for peanuts. Despite being more sophisticated, they just couldn’t trump the desire for cheap labor, and the “conquest of labor” ultimately failed.

It wasn’t until they sought the “conquest of land” – that is, excluding Palestinians entirely – that they finally started to enjoy success.

Therefore, unless immigration is significantly curtailed – among many other things – white workers (and many other American workers) will continue to be shafted.

Re: Jews

• Gay State Girl says:

I’m just explaining my family’s experience with blue collar workers and associated attitudes and suggesting it be taken into account, I did not endorse neoliberal economic policies on global scale.

Fair enough.

I don’t condemn you for not thinking highly of the white working class. For me personally, I defend them because they’re the only group that people can shit on with impunity. I just find it hypocritical the way so many liberals spit on uneducated whites – only to then condemn them for supporting Trump.

1. Beatrix says:

” I just find it hypocritical the way so many liberals spit on uneducated whites – only to then condemn them for supporting Trump.”
    Are they uneducated? Or willfully ignorant? I did notice that it’s fine to make fun of the “white working class” in the US now. Yup, fat people & poor whites are the acceptable targets of derision subtly or outright these days. From what I saw on my last visit to the US the “white working class” declining standards of living were based on “flat” wages. I mean like 50 yr olds who had been working at the same job for 15 yrs who don’t even make $20 an hour, & they’re repairing air conditioners not flipping burgers. Yet they’re also the ones vehemently against a “living wage” because they’re all temporarily inconvenienced millionaires I suppose? As far as lost cultural prestige goes, some Georgia old boy was absolutely furious with me when I informed him that Nascar sponsor Castrol is British owned & the Chinese own Smithfield Hams. See there, his culture was sold right out from under him.

Yup. As I’ve argued many times, the whole bootstrap myth and this fatuous notion that anyone can succeed plays a big role in white Americans countenancing such obscene economic inequality.

2. Rick Santos says:

**QUOTE BY BAG AREA GUY** I don’t want to regurgitate Kevin MacDonald talking points, but I think it’s safe to say that tribal Jews will always fear the goyim. It’s why Jewish elites promote immigration and multiculturalism in just about every majority white country, including countries where the natives are much more cultured than Americans. They feel safer in a more “diverse” society.**

BAG – I agree with you on the Khazar-Fake (Tribal) Jews, however I think they are not stupid. They realize things are moving too quickly for them, and they could loose the west to the Unter Klasse (working/under class and other minorities). Look at most of the Anti-Semitic attacks both terror and non-terror are mostly muslims or Non-Whites. Recent studies via Pew (a liberal hash tag of an organization), stated quite clearly that Blacks and Hispanics have strong anti-semitic views at about 30%, whites are a mere 4% (this is why there is Such high White-Gentile and Jewish IM), they feel safe around us, I am not even talking about Muslim Anti-Semitism.

Look at the Big Jewish Metros of LA / Sanfran / Houston / NYC / NJ / Chicago / Greater Washington / Atlanta and Miami, have the highest diversity and I suspect the highest Anti-Semitism amongst Minorities. When the SHTF (and it will) these Metro areas will explode, all Minorities See Jews as is RICH “Privileged” WHITES. Many Jews are realizing this fact. In fact why do Jews always do this, is it encoded into their DNA. All they had to do is rise to the top, and then stay there but ensure the Western Dominant Culture will prevail. They still could have been at the top, however the unfettering greed always F*cks things up.

For all the stupidity of the Jews (Khazar Fake Jews) they are not so stupid, they know, no other nation/group will accept their shenanigans/and except, In the Highly UN-LIKELY event the west falls, the Khazar Jews will loose big time. Also BAG I simply do not see Israel surviving 50 years. The West will almost certainly with Tacit Jewish Support, close or restrict immigration to the West, from the 3rd world. More minoritys and Non-Whites = More Anti-Semitism and Anti-Israel, simple as that!

Good Article below:

• Gay State Girl says:

They are not wise to it. They largely dwell in the coastal bubble and have their head in the clouds. Groups such as the ADL are hyper focused on incidents of swastikas found in the most remote villages in Eastern Europe to foresee the impending anti neoconservative/zionist backlash nor fully grasp the dissolution/fragmentation of the so called rainbow alliance.

However, I will be sure to share your post with every liberal jewish organization. The fact that a wealthy jewish lady like my grandmother put her domestic workers through technical college and babysat their children would not make one iota of difference to you.